#20 Visual Journalism



 

My Track & Field Journey at SAU




Track and Field doesn’t get as much recognition or hype as football or basketball would.  However, track is an extremely competitive sport and it's one of the only sports in which you compete against yourself. I have been running track ever since I was 10 years old. Being able to still run in college and being offered the opportunity to run track at Southern Arkansas University was a huge honor and blessing that I will forever cherish. From freshman year up until now my track career here at SAU has been an amazing journey. For my visual journalism presentation I decided to showcase what my track and field experience has been like so far here at SAU.

Freshman Year 2018-2019

       Coming in as a freshman, I was nervous about how I would perform. Here is a picture of my teammates and I at our first indoor track meet of the season in 2019. The man in the background happens to be our head coach!


 
Here's my teammates and I at our first outdoor meet of the season in Tyler, Texas. We ended up placing 1st place in our relay race and received a medal afterwards.

 
Here's a picture of my teammates and I after the Great American Conference meet. This meet determines whether or not we advance to the championship meet or not. Sadly, the whole team did not advance, but a few members of the team did. 

Every year at the end of the season SAU hosts an event called Mulespys. This is basically like an awards ceremony and usually every sport on campus attends this event. Furthermore,  I was proud to be able to share my last moments with my teammates for the season. We ended up losing a lot of people because mainly everyone on the team were seniors.


Sophomore Season  2019-2020
After the end of my 2019 season I had created great friendships and bonds with many of my teammates. I was able to perform exceptionally well and I was pleased with how close-knit of a team we had all became. Although a lot of my teammates from the previous year ended up graduating, I was excited for the upcoming season. 

 Here's a video of my first race of the 2020 season. 

Around February of 2020 our season had to come to and end due to Covid-19.


We ended up only having 1 meet of the season. Everyone ended up having to go home due to NCAA rules. In August we were able to come back to campus and were able to practice under certain guidelines. The guidelines were to social distance 6-feet apart while practicing and check temperatures before entering the track. As far as the weight room , mask were strictly enforced. Here's a picture of our weight room facility. 


Still not knowing whether or not we would have a season, we have still been practicing just in case Covid-19 slows down or leaves. Here's a video of my coach!


Overall, my track journey here at SAU has been a great experience. I have created bonds and friendships with people that have turned into family. The blood, sweat, and tears that were formed every practice was worth it because I was able to do with my team. SAU Track and Field has been a great experience so far and I cannot wait to see what more it has in-store for me. 

























 















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#10 Listening Post

#9 Public Records (National)